Vertical gardens, also known as vertical gardens, are a trendy gardening style nowadays.. Interest in vertical gardens rose 287 percent in 2018, according to Pinterest’s top 100 trending report for 2019. Vertical garden ideas can actually be done at home.
There are many choices of vertical garden frames that you can choose from. In fact, some you can make yourself at home. With simple steps and ideas summarized from realsimple.com (12/8/2020), you can install a plant wall that will bring your home to life in these five beautiful frame options.
In this sense, having a vegetable garden at home is an excellent option, because you can harvest vegetables, vegetables and spices when preparing food, ensuring a fresher and healthier meal. For those who live in an apartment, the suspended gardens account for the lack of physical space.
Understand what to plant in the Vertical Garden.
Hanging garden: choosing the location
All you need to do is push your memory a little for high school biology classes: we bet your teacher there talked about the photosynthesis process, which is how plants obtain energy. Photo comes from the Greek and means light, that is, plants need an environment with good light to nourish and grow healthy.
Therefore, give preference to a place that receives direct sunlight every day, such as a balcony, for example. Because most vertical gardens contain spices, you should avoid locations that get the afternoon light (which is quite powerful and can burn the plants’ leaves), preferring instead the morning sun. If that’s not an option, read our guide to learn how to protect plants from the sun.
How to set up a vertical vegetable garden
You can build your vertical garden for very little money! Like? Just use the recyclable pallets . This type of material has become the darling of young and modern decor. For example, you can acquire them for free at natural product fairs. At the end of the day, some marketers throw them out on the street.
To set up your vertical garden, you will need:
- fertilized land
- Seedlings or seeds
Follow the guidelines:
- First, sand the pallet to give it a more polished and even finish. Also apply a coat of varnish, which will provide greater durability.
- Nail plastic pots to the pallet with a hammer.
- Cover the pots with earth and plant the seedlings or seeds (hint: you can replace the pots with pet bottles, for example).
- You may put the pallet on the wall with nails or hooks, much like a portrait. It’s entirely up to you!
Vertical Garden Plants
The best type of plant for vertical gardening are small plants that grow well and quickly.As a result, the most viable alternative for success in this type of garden is spices or aromatic herbs. You can look at a variety of possibilities, including:
- Parsley: contains vitamins E, C and A
- Chives: provides vitamins A, C and K
- Rosemary: rich in vitamin B1, B2 and C
- Mint: contains vitamins A and C
- Thyme: rich in vitamins A and C
- Oregano: contains vitamin A and B3
- Basil: rich in vitamins A, E and C
- Coriander: provides vitamins A, C and E
According to the National Program for the Promotion of Healthy Eating in United State, in addition to the considerable amount of vitamins, aromatic herbs are rich antioxidants, which help to strengthen the body and slow down the aging process. Why don’t you incorporate them into your diet?
Care of the vertical vegetable garden
We have prepared some necessary care tips to have with your vertical garden. Check it out below:
- Before watering, make sure the soil is damp. If it’s dry, water it. Each plant has a different need for water, so you should always be on the lookout. The rule is one watering every other day, preferably in the morning.
- Buy an NPK fertilizer from a garden supply store and add it to your plants twice a month. The fertilizer will ensure the quality of the land and strong, healthy growth. Also check out how to make homemade fertilizer.
- Always remove weeds and flowers (such as basil, for example) from your plants. They steal space in the pot as well as nutrients from the earth, hampering the growth of your aromatic herbs.